Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Foraminifera Focus Group: 6 Interns VS. Thousands of Microfossils

The Interns:

Samuel Martin - an upcoming senior at Southern Illinois University who is majoring in Geology. Currently I am involved in climate change research in Antarctica using foraminifera. Transitioning to the big city from the Midwest has been quick and fun.




Amanda Lanik: Hi I'm Amanda! I just graduated from SUNY Geneseo with a degree in Geology. I'm from Canandaigua, NY, which is a small town in the Finger Lakes. I'm really excited to be working with microfossils this summer and cannot wait to explore the museum and New York City!
 



Autumn Von Plinsky recently graduated Yale University (class of 2013) with a degree in Art. Her background in painting and theater tech hasn't gotten her very well acquainted with Foraminifera, but hopefully this internship will.




Rabia Ashfaque: I'm a graduate student at the School at Visual Arts in New York, currently pursuing a Masters in Art Criticism and Writing. I started out at the AMNH as a volunteer in the exhibitions department. Two-and-a-half years later, the volunteer has become an intern trying to wrap her head around the complex, fascinating and visually stunning world of foraminiferida!




Beth Gerstner: I will be starting graduate school at the City College of New York this fall and what better way to get focused than cataloguing foraminifera. If nothing else my handwriting skills will improve ten fold! But in all seriousness, I'm very excited to be part of this internship. I've always loved the museum and I want to be involved behind the scenes in any way that I can.


Courtney Richenbacher: Hello! I am from Iowa and recently graduated from the University of Iowa with a degree in geoscience and a certificate in museum studies. I will be starting graduate school this fall for a masters in museums studies. I have little experience with forams and am excited to learn as much as possible to help me with my future in museums!

No comments:

Post a Comment